Friday, November 20, 2009

The Way Things Were




These pictures were sent to us from a lady who now lives in Florida. She and her family were the original owners of the downtown shop, on 28th St. We received this e-mail from her shortly before she sent us the photos. The first picture is of the shop as we know it today. The second photo is of Mrs. Barry and her little friend, approximately 65 years ago; the third photo is the house after it was dropped down, onto cinder blocks, because the wood pilings had begun to rot. Pretty cool to have a bit of history of our building, as well as what the town was like way back in the day. Thank you, Mrs. Barry! ~BPM

"Hi, Chauncey's Surf Shop -
This e-mail is from an old 70 year old lady, who spent many a summer in the old beach house you now occupy. My grandfather, Frank Fertitta, built it as a base for duck hunting. I came across a photo of it when it used to sit up on high wood pilings and was surrounded by sand dunes. Remember those????? There was a marsh across the 2-lane road rather than the Jolly Roger nightmare. I sat on the screened porch one day in the 80's, saw a guy walking an elephant across the 8-lane highway, looked at my Aunt Rosemary and said, "I'm outta here" and I never went back.
I am going to mail you the photo.
Cynthia Barry"


No comments:

Post a Comment